Research & Repetition
For seasoned marketers these words aren’t anything new and are easily incorporated into the new world of online marketing. Solid marketing begins with research and research is what will tells you if what you’re doing is working. Consistent repetition is required in order to make a dent in the minds of a target audience. These two attributes are most important for online marketing.
Unfortunately, most small business owners aren’t as familiar with these two keys. Consequently, they don’t take the necessary steps to research or to repeat critical messages consistently in their online marketing communications. What does it take to do this and do it well? Not that much.
1. Having clearly defined online goals and objectives before they get started on the tactics.
2. Willingness to ask online customers and prospects what they really want when it comes to a particular product, service or vendor coupled with a true willingness to listen.
3. Knowing the one clear message that sets their business apart from the competition.
4. Commitment to repeating that message in all online and offline communications over and over and over for at least an entire year.
5. Researching when advertising, communications, email newsletters, Facebook interactions, Tweets, etc. reach the most eyeballs.
6. Tracking and reviewing results so they can repeat what works and stop spending time doing what doesn’t work.
7. Being consistent in all communications…an email newsletter every Tuesday or the first of every month, blog posts consistently every week, advertising that fits the brand image and is consistent with the message.
Research and repetition are two keys to effective online marketing. No magic pixie dust. No secret sauce. No black hat tricks. Just a logical approach to results oriented online marketing that will yield the best results for your small business.
- Online Marketing: How To Be More Effective (themarketingbit.com)
- Marketing: What’s Your Plan For 2012? (themarketingbit.com)